Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Facebook Phenomenon

   It amazes me that there is an entity that has made the world a different place in such a short amount of time.  The Internet as a whole has done so much for the world in being able to get causes, atrocities and great things known to all, but nothing has come close to what Facebook has done. 
   In my small world Facebook has let me become better friends with ladies I have met through preschool.  It is a wonderful thing to be able to 'talk' to your friends with out having your conversations interrupted every minute.  I can check my status and those of my friends and see if anyone needs help, whose birthday it is and even get personal messages about t-ball.  I can join groups that other people across the world are a part of and maybe even make friends with those people.  Of course there is also the awesomeness of finding old friends.  Especially the ones that you weren't necessarily friends with in high school, but have now formed a bond because you see what they are doing in their every day lives and you can relate.  Then there is the other part of Facebook.
   The other Facebook is the one that recently started a protest in Egypt to stop the absolute power that is going on there.  It was the simple ability of those there to 'Post' and 'Like' the beginning of the fall of a country's power.  Facebook has become an awe inspiring phenomenon that literally touches the lives of millions of people in hundreds of countries.  I'll bet Mark Zuckerberg (sp?) didn't plan on this when he started it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I for one am very thankful for facebook for a lot of the same reasons. I am very thankful though that I have that support of mothers my age that have dealt with or are dealing with the same issues I am now facing. We were friends/acquaintances for a breif moment in high school and all I can remember of you is that you were very sweet and I liked you. We never kept in touch but I am thankful that we are able to reconnect.....so thanks Facebook. ....Also how we get to see each other sometime when we come to visist next week. Do you like sushi?